How it works
License Patrol consists of a server that aggregates software usage data from workstations and counts the number of concurrent users, and the client, a service installed on every workstation that tracks the usage of software, communicates the data to the server, and shuts down applications if the concurrent license limits are exceeded.
To track a particular software product you need to do the following:
- Set up the server and a single client machine.
- Deploy the software package you wish to track on the client machine.
- Start the software package you wish to track.
- Log on to the License Patrol server console, go to Add License - New License, and Click the link representing your client machine.
- Choose the option "List existing processes" and pick the software you want to track among the existing processes.
- Enter the maximum number of concurrent licenses if you want it to be enforced. Enter a vary large number if you just want to track an application.
- Fine-tune the installation path and the version to accommodate for multiple versions of the software and multiple installation directories.
- Click "Save".
From now on License Patrol will track all user attempts to launch the software on machines equipped with the License Patrol client.